The City of Newburyport will observe Veterans’ Day 2014 on Tuesday, November 11th. Veterans and their families and all residents are encouraged to join us.
10:15 AM Gather at Pond Street in front of CVS
10:45 AM March in a parade to City Hall – all are welcome
- Newburyport Fire Department
- Newburyport Police Color Guard
- United States Coast Guard Color Guard
- Essex County Sheriff’s Department Color Guard
- Rolling Thunder MA Chapter One and Patriot Riders MA Chapter One Motorcycle Contingents
- Veterans and their families
- Elected Officials
- Newburyport High School Marching Band
- Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownies
- Families and Friends
11:00 AM Ceremony in front of City Hall
- Invocation – Lieutenant Jeffrey Brunelle, Newburyport Salvation Army
- National Anthem – Newburyport High School Marching Band under the direction of Steve Cohen
- Recitation of the names of recently departed veterans – Mayor Donna D. Holaday (Memorial Bells)
- Veterans in Time – Kevin Hunt, Newburyport Veteran Agent
- Patriotic Music - Newburyport High School Marching Band under the direction of Steve Cohen
There will be seating available in front of City Hall, but arrive early to guarantee a seat. If the weather is poor, the ceremony will be in the City Hall Auditorium.
11:45 AM (Approx.) Continue parade around Market Square, up State Street to Veterans Cemetery at the base of Pond Street
- Mayor Holaday places Memorial wreath at monument
- Musical selection - Newburyport High School Band
- Benediction – Reverend Brunelle
- Newburyport Police Honor Guard Rifle Salute
- Taps - Conclusion of Newburyport Veterans’ Day
At the conclusion of the parade, Michael’s Harborside Restaurant will host an invitation only meal for Newburyport veterans and one guest on Tuesday, November 11th. This is an annual event sponsored and paid for by Michael’s Harborside to honor our Newburyport veterans. The meal is limited to Newburyport resident veterans – invitation only. If you are a Newburyport resident and a veteran, and did not receive an invitation, please call the Veterans’ Office at 978-465-4418.
In addition to Tuesday's ceremonies, there are other events taking place the preceding weekend to honor our veterans.
Saturday, November 8th 10AM-11:30AM
Footsteps of Heroes: Civil War Walking Tour of Newburyport (Version 2.0)
Hosted by Bill & Liz Hallett:
Join author William Hallett and his wife, Elizabeth, for a new tour, “Footsteps of Heroes: Civil War Walking Tour of Newburyport (Version 2.0),” on Saturday, November 8, 2014 at 10am. This second version of their walking tour features a few favorites, but also some new stories on a new route. Stories include: Albert W. Bartlett and Newburyport’s first volunteers to put down the rebellion; our own Civil War nurse; Frederick Douglas’s visit, abolitionists; Newburyport’s Confederate general; Civil War Homefront; a local politician who almost ran against Lincoln for President; and many of Newburyport’s heroes who fought for the Union and much more. For this tour, a $5 donation is requested for historic preservation. The tour is roughly 90 minutes. It is suggested that you wear comfortable shoes and bring a bottle of water. For more info, go to footstepsofheroes.com or call 978.255.2567.
Sunday, November 9th 9AM-11AM
A Hearty Veterans Breakfast at The Elks
The Elks Lodge, 25 Low Street, Newburyport will sponsor a free and hearty breakfast for veterans and a guest. This breakfast event has all the trimmings, and is offered free of charge to all veterans and their guests. The Newburyport Elks Lodge is honored to play a small part in honoring veterans on their special day.